A visit or vacation to Maui can be filled with wonderful memories if one knows what to do while on the island. Here are the top ten things to do while visiting this incredible Pacific jewel.
1. Attend a traditional luau. Finding a luau will not be difficult as many hotels offer these on a regular basis. You can find luaus that offer fine dining or find those that offer traditional Hawaiian foods such as kalua pig, poi and coconut pudding. In addition to great food, you can also enjoy fire dancing, hula shows and lots of Hawaiian music.
2. See the wonderful flora that Maui has to offer. Maui is world famous for its many beautiful plants and flowers. Visitors can witness firsthand the exquisite rain forests, the Upcountry slopes, and as well as the sunny western shores where much of Maui's botanical paradise is found. Best of all, it only takes a drive to experience these wonders as they are virtually everywhere. Don't forget to visit the steep mountains of Maui where you can find many protected pockets of various native plants.
3. Go diving! One of the most exciting adventures available on Maui is the diving. For those who wish to stay above the waves, consider a day trip on a sail boat. The waters just off Lana'i and Moloka'i offer some of the finest of sailing on the island. You can easily charter a sail boat, canoe, catamaran, or sailfish. The whole family will love this type of activity. As for diving, there are many experienced diving operators who can take you beneath the waves to see some of the world's most exotic fish and reefs. You can even visit the partially submerged volcanic crater which is located just offshore at Wailea.
4. Rent a car and drive! One of the least expensive things you can do on Maui is to rent a car and take in the sights. Renting a car allows you all the freedom you could want to visit the sights that interest you the most. Major car rentals are available at the Kahului Airport. Rates vary, so make sure you shop for the best deals.
One of the most scenic and popular drives on Maui is the Road to Hana. It has some 54 bridges and it winds along a spectacular lava shore as well as through some of the oldest plantation towns.
5. Eat! Maui is well known for its fine food and offers something for everyone. Some of the world's best chefs work in Maui and offer both traditional fare as well as international cuisine. The hardest part is deciding what to eat as a simple search engine result will show you over 100 different restaurants to choose from. Or you can use our simple one page guide for the best restaurants on Maui.
6. Shopping is a must! Few locations offer as much shopping as Maui does. Visitors can find a variety of galleries, shopping malls, international shops, farmer's markets, designer boutiques and even busy swap meets. It is not difficult to find products that are unique to Maui or to Hawaii. You can find hand-turned bowls, oil paintings, hats and clothing and one-of-a-kind art, jewelry, and glass work.
7. The beaches! With more than 80 beaches, and some 120 miles of coastline, Maui has the perfect beach for anyone. You will find beaches that are black, gold, green, red and perfectly white. Many of these wonderful beaches are great for snorkeling, especially the beaches at Kapalua and Makena. You can learn how to surf at Maui's best surfing spots or even try a boogie board.
8. See the whales! If you are visiting between November and May, make it a point to go see the whales. Some 10,000 humpback whales visit the islands during this time period and are truly one of nature's wonders. The best place to see them is on Maui's south and west coastlines. You can even watch them from shore.
9. Check out the local museums. Maui has a long and rich history and one of the best ways to learn more about Maui is to visit their museums. You can find many educational and truly fun museums, all of which tell some part of the history of Maui. Check out Maui's National Historic Landmark located in Lahaina.
10. Play a round of golf. Maui has some of the best golfing in the world with more than a dozen courses. Check out the West Maui course which offers 72 holes of outstanding golf at its two major resort areas: the Ka'anapali Beach Resort and the Kapalua Resort.
Tags: maui, things to do, top 10 things to do, maui activities, maui dining, fun on maui, things to do on maui,